We are hiring an experienced software engineer with primarily a backend focus to help us expand our application and infrastructure, scale up to more customers, and build out new applications, data pipelines, and tools. This position will have lots of responsibility for making architectural decisions that will impact the course of the company.
This position will involve the following types of work on a day to day basis:
- Architect and implement new functionality in our web application, including intelligent features powered by our rich and unique data set – our stack is AWS/PostgreSQL/Go/GraphQL/React, with a little bit of Python (because there’s always a little bit of Python)
- Own the project – you’ll make lots of database and architectural decisions, and have a lot of responsibility over how we build out our applications and development processes
- Find, suggest, and implement better ways of structuring code or architecting solutions
- Integrate new types of data sources to enrich our data set and spark new capabilities for our users
- Make your own work life better and continue to expand your own skill set: we include developer-driven initiatives in sprints, and we also build in non-sprint days to explore new ideas and clean up annoying messes
- Work directly with the rest of the company: at OrbitalRX, we believe the best products are built by engineers who understand the domain they’re building for. You’ll learn a lot about hospital operations and the bizarre-yet-captivating world of pharmaceutical data!
- Work with the rest of the engineering team: collaborate and brainstorm on creative solutions, and provide thoughtful mentorship and constructive feedback to your teammates
Here’s a bit about some of the qualities we’re looking for:
- You take pride in your code, and are driven to find ways to make things cleaner and more maintainable
- You can understand our AWS infrastructure and think of ways to use it to build for ease of growth and scale (devops is a mindset!)
- You’ve worked with GraphQL, or if not, you know how to build a quality API
- You have well-formed opinions about code structure and architecture, and you’re driven to find the right way to do things within a codebase or framework
- You have strong analytical skill and can follow the trail to dig out the root cause of a bug, identify patterns of user issues and solve them with code or architecture improvements
- You are driven to learn and improve: while your experience gives you good instincts toward good solutions, you respect that other engineers may have differing and equally valid ideas, and you enjoy discussing, learning, and coming to consensus
- You communicate and collaborate well and enjoy working closely with other technologists, domain experts, and users
This is a typical startup role in that there’s a little bit of everything and a lot of room to grow, and not a ton of structure. If you’re self-motivated, eager to build and own the solutions to the problems that face our users, and excited to take on challenges and opportunities that come up as the company succeeds, you will thrive with us!